Since 1988, Petro-CanadaTM has supported over 3,000 aspiring Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls.
Petro-Canada’s FACETM Program supports up-and-coming athletes and their coaches when they need it most – when they are striving to represent Canada at the Olympic or Paralympic Games, but don’t yet qualify for government funding.
How are athletes and coaches selected?
All current Olympic and Paralympic sports are eligible for FACE Program funding.
National Sport Federations (NSFs) select and nominate candidates across Canada who would best benefit from the funding. A committee comprised with representatives from Petro-Canada, the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic Committees and the Coaching Association of Canada work together to select the final recipients.
Eligibility for the Petro-Canada FACE program is as follows:
- Nominated athletes must be in good standing with their NSF
- Nominees’ sport and event must be included on the official program of the next Olympic Games, Olympic Winter Games, Paralympic Games or Paralympic Winter Games
- Nominees must:
- be committed to train and compete for their NSF, representing Canada for the upcoming year
- be Canadian citizens
- Eligibility is restricted to non-carded athletes according to their NSF and Sport Canada at the time of nomination
- Athletes cannot be selected on the program for more than two years
Please contact your NSF today to be considered for our Petro-Canada FACE program.
What support does Petro-Canada provide?
Every year, Petro-Canada selects 55 promising athletes and their coaches from across Canada.
These athletes and their coaches are awarded a $10,000 FACE grant to help them along their journey, with $5,000 going directly to the athlete and $5,000 to their coach.
FACE grants are often used for:
- coach education
- travel expenses for competitions
Since 1988, Petro-Canada has supported over 3,000 Canadian athletes and coaches by providing more than $11,000,000 in financial support.
How Do Athletes and Coaches Benefit?
Many athletes dream of representing Canada at the Olympic or Paralympic Games. However, this goal requires years of hard work and dedication, often before an athlete qualifies for government funding.
Petro-Canada’s FACE Program helps support athletes at this crucial stage in their journey, by awarding 55 FACE grants of $10,000 every year, to be shared between promising athletes and their coaches.
View the FACE grant recipients