Aspiring Olympic and Paralympic athletes and their coaches are eligible to receive financial assistance through the Petro-Canada Fuelling Athlete and Coaching Excellence (FACE™) program.
Petro-Canada’s FACE Program supports up-and-coming athletes when they need it most: when they are striving to represent Canada at the Olympic or Paralympic Games, but don’t yet qualify for government funding.
Every year, Petro-Canada selects 55 promising athletes from across Canada. These athletes and their coaches are awarded a $10,000 FACE grant to help them along on their journey, with $5,000 going directly to the athlete and $5,000 to their coach. Funding supports their development in sport and their work towards achieving national carded status.
Non-carded athletes do not receive any government funding and depend on programs like FACE to pursue their dreams. FACE grants are often used for:
- travel to competition
To date, the FACE program has helped over 2,900 Canadian athletes and their coaches by providing more than $10,000,000 in financial support.
Who is eligible to apply for FACE funding?
All current Olympic and Paralympic sports are eligible for FACE program funding. Athletes are nominated and selected based on criteria established by Petro-Canada, the Canadian Olympic Committee and the Canadian Paralympic Committee.
National Sport Federations (NSFs) select and nominate candidates across Canada who would best benefit from the funding. A committee comprised with representatives from Petro-Canada, the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic committees and the Coaching Association of Canada work together to select the final recipients.
Eligibility for the Petro-Canada FACE program is as follows:
- Nominees must be in good standing with their NSF
- The nominees sport and event must be included on the official program of the next Olympic, Olympic Winter Games, Paralympic or Paralympic Winter Games
- Nominees must be committed to train and compete for their NSF, representing Canada for the upcoming year
- Nominated athletes must be Canadian citizens
- Eligibility is restricted to non-carded athletes according to their NSF and Sport Canada at the time of nomination
- Athletes cannot be selected on the program for more than two years.
Please contact your National Sports Federation (NSF) today to be considered for our Petro-Canada Fuelling athlete & coaching excellence (FACE) program.
View the FACE grant recipients
Follow the stories of our FACE grant recipients on Facebook